Sunday, April 3, 2011

Crochet and Knitting Blog Week--Day 7

blog week
2KCBWDAY7

It's the last day of Crochet and Knitting Blog Week! I've had a lot of fun coming up with posts and reading so many new blogs. And I am so grateful for all of my readers! I hope my blog brings a little bit of pleasure to your day.

Day seven: 3rd April. Your knitting and crochet time.
Write about your typical crafting time. When it is that you are likely to craft – alone or in more social environments, when watching TV or whilst taking bus journeys. What items do you like to surround yourself with whilst you twirl your hook like a majorette’s baton or work those needles like a skilled set of samurai swords. Do you always have snacks to hand, or are you a strictly ‘no crumbs near my yarn!’ kind of knitter.
Tips: Last year we had a topic asking about the actual location of where you knit or craft, this is similar but not the same. Try and concentrate on all of the little aspects that make up your knitting time. Maybe you always head for for your Flaming Lips CD when taking on simple knitting but prefer a bit of Brahms when tackling more intricate work, or maybe you enjoy knitting with audiobooks or complete silence. Perhaps your crochet time is never complete without a cuddle from Tiddles the cat.

Flaming Lips CD--uh, no. Christopher and/or Jet the cat--sometimes.

Let's see--when do I crochet. I have a full time job, a teen with lots of activities, a "tween" with a different bunch of stuff to go to, a husband, a house, 4 pets, I teach Sunday School, etc etc. Some female comedian once said, "When they make a movie about my kid's life, I'll be listed in the credits as 'Woman Driving Car'." Oh yeah, I can relate!

frazzled

I try to sneak in my crafting when I can. Definitely while watching TV or a movie after the kids go to bed. DEFINITELY if I have a meeting at work. I usually take a small project along with me anywhere I know I'll have to wait--doctor's office, oil change, etc. Sometimes I even get annoyed if the doctor calls me back too soon and I haven't had any crochet time!

I do love socializing when I craft too, I just don't get many opportunities to do so. I have a Wednesday night "yarn playgroup" but I don't get to go that often, and I go to an annual craft retreat that is an absolute blast! But most of the time I'm more of a solo crafter, snatching bits of time with my yarn whenever I can manage. This is also the primary reason that I haven't gotten to pursue my interest in making jewelry, like I mentioned yesterday (See, I told you there was a good segue!) My crochet time is best suited to mindless, relaxing, uncomplicated work that just lets me zone out. Working with beads and wire and such is going to require some concentrated periods of time when I can really focus on doing something new. That kind of time is tough to come by in my life!

I AM going to make some jewelry tho. I promise, I will! Probably as soon as the kids grow up and move out....

8 comments:

Kristine Mullen said...

I take projects everywhere I go! I even brought my yarn and hook into the delivery room with me :)

Anonymous said...

Just think when the oldest learns to drive you will have more time to crochet XD

Unknown said...

Oh - we definitely are in the same boat with crochet. I think that is why I do not spend any time with knitting. It is so easy to put crochet down and come back to it whereas it isn't always that easy with knitting (at least for me). I'm definitely glad I found your blog this week!

Mrs Twins said...

I do crocheting whenever i can, take my SIBOL Squares in the car with me always, and just try and grab bits of time here and there.
Great posts!
and many thanks for your kind comments on the Royal Wedding Blanket!
Love suex

Shanti said...

Hi Julie,
If you try jewelry with wire find a really thin wire 31 or 32 gauge because other wise is hard to work with... I think copper is a great option, or aluminum, because they are really solft and things come out great!

Voie de Vie said...

Very frazzled funny! I don't know how moms do all they do and find time to craft. Amazing, really.

And why not try crocheted jewelry with beads? It's easy, portable, and will bring together two of your crafty passions. :)

The Gingerbread Lady said...

I know what you mean about crocheting - great to switch off. Looking forward to seeing your jewellery, though. I hope you find the time (and energy) to start soon :-)

Stefanie said...

I love jewelry especially dangly earrings. Let me know when you start shop on those.
I love that comedian's quote you posted. I had to FB it as I'm the official chauffeur of Their Royal Highnesses who are only 6 and 3.5 right now. I know I have many more years to come w/that duty.