Wednesday, December 8, 2010

W.I.P. Wednesday for December 8

This week I'd like to tell you about my favorite charity project and perpetual work-in-progress:

Knit-a-Square!


December red

Knit-a-Square (KAS) was founded just over 2 years ago by Ronda Lowrie and Sandy MacDonald to help children in South Africa who have been orphaned, mainly due to the AIDS epidemic. Knitters and crocheters from all over the world make 8-inch squares and send them to South Africa, where local volunteers stitch the squares into blankets to be given to children. I heard about KAS just a couple of months after I picked up my crochet hooks again after a hiatus of a dozen-plus years, and making squares has become my passion! My goal at the start of 2010 was to make 4 squares per month. Well, the squares pictured above bring my total to 105 for this year! And that is just a teeny drop in the bucket--in 2 years they have received over 120,000 squares to help keep this children warm!

Why do I love making squares? I get to try out so many new patterns, there are TONS of ideas out there for doing squares, and an 8-inch square works up in just a couple of hours. That's another thing I love--they are fast! I'm an instant-gratification kind of girl, and this fits my personality perfectly. But most important, I love that I helping children who have so little, whereas I have so much.

Please look around the Knit-a-Square website, and consider making some squares (or a sweater, or a hat, etc) to help warm a child in need. And thank you so much for reading!

No comments: