Monday, January 3, 2011

The Other Parts of My Life...

While I would be most happy if my life consisted primarily of fulfilling my crochet goals, alas there are so many other things of life that demand much of my attention. And so I reluctantly put on my big-girl panties and set a few non-crafting goals for 2011 as well.

#1--My physical well-being. Last spring I realized that I had been eating all the wrong stuff and getting next to no exersize, so I started eating better and got back into walking as much as I could. And from May to November I lost almost 20 lbs and really felt alot more energy returning. I've fallen off the wagon a bit the last 6 weeks or so, what with an illness and the weather and the holidays, but I'm going to get back walking (on the treadmill if the weather is lousy) and try to at least maintain where I am now. My dad and grandfather have type 2 diabetes, and I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant, so I don't need to be heading down that road. If I could just exersize walk and crochet at the same time, I would be the happiest person on the planet!

#2--My spiritual life. This goal is a big one for me, but I'm really going to try and stick with it. I've never read the Bible all the way through, so for Christmas I asked for The One Year Bible for Women. I also found daily podcasts of the readings at dailyaudiobible.com. So since I listen to audiobooks on my commute anyway, and the length of the podcast is just a little longer than my one-way drive, it should work really well to listen to the Bible readings on my way to work! I did it this morning and it was awesome, just as I pulled into the parking lot the podcast was closing with a prayer, it sent me into work on a wonderful note.

#3--Set a smaller goal each month. I read this on another blog and I think it's a great idea for me and my oh-so-short attention span. Things seem to slip by me without getting done if I don't have a concrete plan, but I always manage to do stuff when a deadline is looming. So if I self-impose monthly deadlines, I'll be much more efficient (at least in theory)! My January goal: Put the school district on notice about what we want for Miss G for next year. I haven't talked much about my family yet on this blog, but our 11-year-old daughter has Aspergers Syndrome (high-functioning autism), and she will be going to middle school in the fall. HUGE changes compared to elementary school, and we have some definite ideas about what we want in place for her. And we know that our ideas are not necessarily what the school district will want to do. So this week I will be starting with the special ed coordinator at the middle school and getting this ball rolling! This morning I read on Niki's blog, Butternut Street, about her fight to get her autistic son an appropriate school setting--it's so nice to connect with others who have the same issues.

You all are going to help keep me honest--at the end of January I will report on the school issues!

Have a wonderful day, thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

- said...

Good you have not set up too many as that is why I think some people cannot keep up. It's a good time of year to start fresh.

Shanti said...

The goal a month thing sounds morea aproachable than whole year resolutions... I am totally out of shape and need to get back to excersize and lose pounds, several, a lot of them... hope zumba will help.
Will wait for your school improvements!!

Pam Sykes (aka Pretty Knitty) said...

It's good to have goals, as long as you don't let them manke you crazy! Good luck with yours, I feel you on the eating better/exercise. . .you can do it!!!

Kathleen said...

These are really great. Congrats on dropping the pounds. I also like the idea of setting 1 goal a month.

I'm going to check out the podcast. It sounds very cool.

*❀* said...

wishing you a happy, healthy, joyful, peaceful and creative new year

xxx

*❀* said...

p.s. i am now following your blog.
my youngest daughter is also autistic and i have two autistic nephews.

Sara said...

Hello Julie! So happy to see you at Tangled Happy today. It is the 5th of January and I have yet to write down my goals for 2011. But I do share in a few of yours. Most importantly #2. I actually tried to do this last year. But sadly did not complete my mission. The good news is it's not to late. I can continue on and will get to the end! Also I think #3 is a great idea. Seems much more attainable in bite size pieces. Wishing you all the best for 2011!